On 4/23/2015 2:10 PM, Hermann Meyer wrote:

Am 23.04.2015 um 13:49 schrieb Thorsten Wilms:
On 23.04.2015 11:50, Vytautas Jancauskas wrote:
Who would think that having to operate a circular knob by moving the
mouse in a little circle is convenient? It's also a bit harder to
implement. Is there some argument for it I am not aware of?

Properly done radial knobs do not force you to move the pointer in a little circle, but allow you to increase the distance. This way, you get adjustable precision. In my own experience, this can work very well for parameters that have a huge range (i.e. _many_ steps) and control something sensitive to the smallest changes.

One thing that comes really handy here is using a modifier, like shift or ctrl that does micro-adjustments vs. regular adjustments. Ideally, when this is coupled with an editable number box, you get the best of both worlds.

One issue is the placement of the knob relative to the edges of the screen and what you do when the pointer (ignoring touch) reaches them.