On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Sebastian Gesemann wrote:

I've started writing a software synthesizer in C++ (using SDL2 for
now) for kicks and giggles and ran into the problem of having the
event loop thread that listens for keyboard events communicate with
the audio callback.

Are there any recommendations for how to pass real-time events (note
on, note off, etc) to such an audio callback? I figured, this is
already a solved problem and that I could benefit from your
experiences. Maybe you know of some nice open-source C++ queue
implementation that is suitable in such a situation.

I have used jackd ringbuffer for that.

If you don't want to link against jack you could probably pull the code out to use in your application. the ring buffer is a polled setup, so every time you do some audio processing you need to check the ring buffer to see if there are any new bytes to process.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net