On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Ralf Mattes wrote:

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017 18:58 CET, Len Ovens <l...@ovenwerks.net> schrieb:

No X11 -> No DBus

Not true. I have done
dbus-launch screen
and used screen as my text only session manager with success. jack_control
was able to start jackdbus, pulse was able to run and bridge to jack on a
headless system. (it has been a while, I stopped because the system I was
using was too memory strapped) Any of the terminals in the same screen
instance will be able to communicate with any other.

So it is possible.

Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in the
audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
'man jackdbus' :
No manual entry for jackdbus
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

I can add more too. The tool for starting jackdbus, jack_control, has no docs. No man page, -h, --help do not work. running jack_control with no command gives a usage screen... and as it is a python script, the script itself is probably the best documentation there is (and still nor great).

>  It does mean learning more about your system...

Hmm - did you? You suggest using dbus-launch even so the manpage of that program
explicitly says "To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use
dbus-launch"
and point to dbus-run-session ...

Just enough to get things to work (and the experiment failed because I had only 0.3G ram, not because of dbus). However, having read the two man pages, I would still use dbus-launch with a text session manager like screen where I want to share one instance of dbus with a number of processes.

Certainly I am no great sysadmin. I could also use more learning time on my system, but in general I have a system to use it, not learn about it's inner workings... So I learn only enough to get things to work, I copy lots of stuff others have done and ask questions.

One of the biggest problems in linux audio is old information, linux and the surrounding OS has changed. I should actually try my test setup again with more memory and try both commands as I have such a box sitting here.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net