On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Kevin Cole wrote:

Never one to fear displaying my ignorance / laziness...

In my limited readings, I had gotten the vague impression that OSC was sort of
MIDI 2.0.  Does MIDI 2.0 incorporate OSC or will they remain two distinct paths?

Certainly OSC is a step beyond MIDI 1.0. But it has never been backwards compatable with MIDI 1.0 and does not try to negotiate for OSC and fall back to MIDI if it can't. OSC has next to no standards beyond transport which might explain its failure in the commercial world. Each OSC application makes up it's own set of commands. MIDI 2.0 still has a large number of predefined commands... larger than midi 1.0.

However, the biggest reason it is not midi 2.0 is that it was not released by MMA...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net