On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 11:05:44AM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Some experiences I've had with Belgian beers were more akin to memory
> barriers... stupid me was enjoying Duvel without parsing the metadata (the
> taste is so light and summer-y), matching my friends' cadence (who were
> drinking pilsener). One of the few evenings where I don't remember how I got
> home.

Duvel, at 8.5%, isn't even the strongest, some go up to 12%.

It played a role in my life as well...  My first ever job (long ago)
was as a sound engineer for Belgian radio and TV. One evening we were
recording Schubert's piano trio op.99 at the famous Flagey studio 4.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagey_Building#Recording_studios>
The producer, who also was a music teacher, had engaged one his
students to turn the pages for the piano player. After the recording
he asked me if I could bring her home, as that was on my way back to
Antwerp. So we ended up in the small village of Breendonk which has
no claims to fame except for being where the Duvel is brewed.
We had some Duvels at the small cafe opposite the brewery and ended
up waggling to her parents' home. A few days later we saw each other
again, and became 'an item' that lasted for almost ten years.

Cheers,

--
FA