On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 02:47:53PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> These are not pipewire design goals,...
> This is not a design goal of PW.
> This is not a design goal of PW.

On  <https://docs.pipewire.org/page_config.html>:

  "One of the design goals of PipeWire is to be able to closely
   control and configure all aspects of the processing graph."

If that is true, then nothing of what I mentioned before should
be a problem.

To 'closely control' things IMHO includes having the option to
disable anything automatic. If for example I can't tell pipewire
to not use a particular sound card that is the exact opposite
of providing control.

> Config files are pretty much standard linux.

That's another issue which I didn't even want to mention
originally.

As long as you consider only the files and assume that either
only one of them is used or able to completely override the
others the situation is clear. It's a good system, allowing
the distro to provide 'convenient' defaults, while still
allowing the admin or user to override them.

But what about the drop-in directories ? If for example I have a
~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf, indicating that I want to take
matters into my own hands, does that mean that the files in the
drop-in directories in /etc and /usr/share are ignored as well ?
Or do I have to override each and every one of them ? The real
semantics of this are not clear at all.

And then there is this:

<https://docs.pipewire.org/page_man_pipewire_conf_5.html>

  "Dictionary sections are merged, overriding properties if
   they already existed, and array sections are appended to."

So can a 'user' config really override the 'distro' one ?

This sort of thing has indeed become 'standard linux', it's
not just a pipewire issue. Systemd is an order of magnitude
worse.

Ciao,

--
FA