> (Guile? Why not use Scheme?)

Guile is an implementation of Scheme.

> Why use Guile and Ruby for scripting languages? Why not Perl or PHP?

Ruby is (I'm told) very similar to Perl.  There are lot of other
choices -- Python for example shouldn't be too hard.  There's a
small quibble that I'm using Guile/Ruby as an extension (or embedded)
language, not (primarily) for scripting.  I've split the embedded
language support out from Snd as a whole, so it's (say) a few
days work to add another language -- about 100 macros and a half
dozen procedures, mostly to make sure errors are handled with
aplomb.

> Did you forget about QT?

No, but it doesn't seem worth the effort -- adding another GUI
possibility is a lot of tedious work (about 2 months all told
for Gtk).  I also looked at Fox.

>  Also being able to open any
> file just by specifying bit depth, sample rate, etc. is useful

I'm not sure I understand -- could you send me more info about this?