I don't understand the pseudocode, but at first glance it looks fairly
wrong.

I'd take a look at VBAP (excellent paper at
http://lib.hut.fi/Diss/2001/isbn9512255324/isbn9512255324.pdf). For a
horizontal rig this boils down to a standard cos/sin pan law across the
nearest speaker pair.

And watch this space, because I've an interesting project on its way...

--Richard