>I noticed that I was not on the list...
>But I have now read the archives.
>
>Kernel changes are not workable - at least not short testm!
>It will take ages until that change is available on most computers.
>(But if it is the only solution then it is...)
>
>Local DOS/security exploits has traditionally been seen as equally
>dangerous in Unix land - computers often run on Universities...
>This is the major reason for Linux to be secure even remote.
>(if you can not trust the security for a user logged how can you
>trust the security of the whole system if the web server is run as
>a normal user?)
>And remember this IS perceived as serious enough for the
>developers of KDE to disable the RT possibility for arts!

precisely. it *is* a real threat, and if someone wanted to try to
attack using this kind of method, its going to be very, very hard to
stop them, monitor or otherwise.

>The only thing the sound servers need to be able to handle
>RT audio are:
>* one of the RT scheduling methods.
>* locked memory. (Not protected at the moment - hard limits?)

>This can be archived with a wrapper that drops ALL other priorities
>before running the real application.

this is, alas, not true. to use RT scheduling, you need either root
uid or CAP_RESOURCE. if you have CAP_RESOURCE or root uid, you can do
many, many things (such as write to /dev/kmem) that can lead to a DOS.

the central problem is that there is no way to tell the kernel "this
thread should get to run whenever it wants, but do nothing else that a
normal process cannot do", and likewise, "this vm address space can
lock down up to 128MB of memory". we don't have sufficiently
granularity to do this, so we have to grant overly broad access. that
in turns means that anything granted such access has many, many more
ways of attacking the system than burning CPU cycles or locking down
too much memory (and, BTW, i'm not sure if this latter issue is a
problem or not with the emergence of process killing logic in the
kernel these days).

to make this situation better means recognizing the utility of
granting very specific resources to be used or more or less
exclusively by a single task, even when those resources more or less
mean "all of the machine". this is not something that POSIX or Linux
provides at this time.

--p