Paul Winkler wrote:

The fact is, if you have a
normal musical signal, it will have much higher frequency components so
zero-crosses occur much more frequently than this limit. I investigated
this problem a bit before i settled on that 40 Hz... a mixed signal
(a few instruments together), or higher pitched instruments usually
give average zero-cross frequencies of 8-12 kHz.

that high? no kidding?

Yes, mostly, because higher harmonics also cause zero crosses. Musical instruments are not sinusoidal waveform generators. :-) (also, the numbers above were the average frequency of zero-crosses, which mean actually half that audio frequency, because every cycle has 2 half-cycles... so that 8-12 kHz is not really surprising...)

Not too many instruments get below 40 Hz that I know of ... synths and pipe organs, mostly. And they *usually* have a lot of higher
freqs mixed in.

That's why there is many zero-crosses in almost any case... more than what the instrument's base frequency would yield.

So if you take a 30 Hz sinusoidal from an oscillator and feed it into
this plugin, then there will be unprocessed segments

just one, right?

One per LADSPA buffer, in the worst (but not very unlikely) case.

Tom