Am Mittwoch, 18. August 2004 19:36 schrieb Nelson Posse Lago:
> Quoting Paul Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > wrong model. a given jackd has a single driver.  a new jack client,
> > sure.
>
> I believe the way to do this is to have one remote jackd with a driver
> that sends/receives data through UDP and one local jack client that
> interacts with this remote server.
>
> There is something like this already, I believe (haven't checked):
>
> http://www.alphalink.com.au/~rd/m/jack.udp.html
>
> As a side note, the system I developed intends to do this over ladspa;
> more on this on another message.
>
> > oh, and a small correction. VST System Link has basically nothing to
> > do with networked audio. [...] it does *not* distribute audio
> > across the network at all.

Hm, so there are two ways to do remote processing:

1. jack over ethernet

Would use a server application (jack client) on the host that provides
jack ports and sends the data over ethernet.
Pro: You can bundle several audio streams and send them in a single package.
Con: If you want to control remote plugins from your host application, you
need an additional application doing the same for the ladspa parameters.

2. ladspa over ethernet
Here a pseudo ladspa plugin would send the parameters and audiodata over
ethernet (something like ladspavst is doing for vst plugins on the local
host).

Pro: On the remote machines all you need is a plugin manager, which could even
be
a pseudo host for audiounit plugins on a Mac or VST host for VST plugins on a
WinXP machine, that
does the ldspa->vst/au wrapping, or a true ladpsa manager on a linux machine.

Con: Sending data for each single plugins produces more overhead and
thus takes up more cpu power on the host.

So which approach is best to follow?