Greetings:

My thanks to all respondents for their suggestions, but sad to say, I got no joy. At this time the machine is unusable and I'll probably have to take it in for repair or just buy a new mobo. I now can't get beyond the boot stage, it usually dies with a kernel panic either right away or shortly after startup. Big bummer.

I removed all cards, installed a new CPU fan, and tried booting from a Knoppix disk. The Knoppix live CD also failed with a kernel panic, which probably means I have a hardware problem either with the RAM or the CPU. Btw, I've been running RH9 happily on this box for quite a while, it's hardly a new installation

I have access to an identical box I'll get to try either tomorrow or the day after, but this one's DOA for this evening. :(

Best,

dp

Dave Phillips wrote:

Greetings:

I've been having some problems with my desktop machine during and after booting into Planet CCRMA RH9. At first I started getting some kernel panics booting into the system, then I started having trouble during operation of the system. X would suddenly freeze shortly after I started it, usually after the first mouse move.

Okay, so I don't panic because I have another drive in the same box running FC3, so I figure I'll just boot into that system instead and transfer files before everything heads south. At first everything seemed fine on that drive, but soon after I started using it FC3 started showing the same symptoms with sudden reboots and total freezes of the machine.

I've been able to transfer a lot of stuff to my laptop via the local network, but mounting the RH9 drive is very dangerous, things can freeze at any moment. Alas, there's still stuff on that drive that I'd like to retrieve.

So there's something wrong with the box. Can anyone point me in the right direction to begin troubleshooting this machine ? Could it be RAM ? The graphics card ? Or what ?? And how can I test things on the hardware side, i.e., what utilities are indicated ?

 Any and all suggestions vastly appreciated.

Best,

dp