Well unfortunatly there is one other option to consider, highly unlikely but possible, especially if you overclock your system. The symptoms you are describing may also point to a damaged chip(CPU) typically when it starts having problems caused by periods over high temperature, even if it isnt at a high temperature when you have the problem, if it had previously been run at high temperatures you could still have the symptoms show up because the chip got damaged. I wouldnt throw out any peices until you find out exactly what is wrong though and hope you the best.

     Seablade

Brad Fuller wrote:

Dave Phillips wrote:

Greetings:

 It has not been a good week.

As I mentioned yesterday I swapped my hardware into an identical box as my original machine. Yesterday everything seemed to have returned to normal operation. I watched some movies, worked on some music, and so forth.

Today I powered up the box, logged on to the net, downloaded the latest Csound CVS and started compiling. After a few minutes everything froze again, the machine was locked tight as a drum. I had to pull the plug to restart, but when grub came up my keyboard was frozen. I pulled the plug again and got my keyboard back after restarting.

Now I'm running memtest again. I realized yesterday that I'd run it on only one RAM stick so I thought I'd better check again. However, at this point I'm starting to suspect a bad drive. But *two* bad drives in the system ?? As I mentioned in an earlier message, the machine failure occurred regardless of which drive I was using (RH9 on /dev/hdb, FC3 on /dev/hda).

So I'm bummed again. Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and buy a whole new system. :(

Hey Dave,

Obviously, each component that you transfered from the old to the new system is suspect. Drives usually fail miserably, not after a while... though, it's not impossible to suffer a long death. But, when they do, it's usually noticeable upon reboot... but, again, not always (not an exact science!). It's possible that you have a bad area on one of the drives that is used for the swap space and when a critical area is swapped it bombs.

From the thermal pov: Did you bring over IDE or SCSI cards for your drive? If so, you might swap those out. But, it's stretching.

It sure sounds like a memory problem. (note that not all memtests test memory effectively). Sometimes a memory problem is so small that it doesn't necessarily effect the operation of the computer until later at a random time. If I were you I'd swap out all memory and let it run. If you can't swap out the memory, you could try booting up into DOS or BIOS and just let it sit there for a good long while. Just something that wouldn't exercise RAM to eliminate thermal or other parts that you've transfered from the old computer.

brad