Pete Bessman:
But try programming a complex synth line, replete with legatos and
extremely- small interval fragments, and add in automation of filfreq, reso,
panning, etc.  It's doable, but it's painful.  And the more time you
spend fighting an app, the less time you spend making music.  There's a
reason tb303 synth apps are so popular, and it *ain't* just because the
tb303 hardware is rare --- it's because the truth is, it's a feckin'
PITA to use.

Well, I gave it a shot, using radium, zynaddsubfx and jack-rack. I don't
usually do this kind of music, and my version of zynaddsubfx is a bit old.
Anyway. :-) :

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kjetil/ashot.png

The brown line in radium is tempo, and the green line is connected to
the cutoff frequency in the butterworth filter in jack-rack. Its very
easy to set up, but I had no idea about effects or sounds or anything, so
I spent some time though. The notes are fairly random.

And here is the sound:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kjetil/jack_capture_1.ogg

I'd say its pretty good to be done by an amatour in a hurry. :-)