Paul Davis wrote:
On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 09:27 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
Paul Davis wrote:
On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 02:31 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
I should add another program which is crippled by this same problem Lee, is grip. It can rip a cd, but cannot play the cd even when not ripping it. And the ripped sound isn't up to the usual quality, often sounding as if the playback is of a file that over-drove the d/a in playback, or the a/d in the recording, eg clipped. A far cry from grips usual crystal clear results.
i use grip and skype and they both work perfectly for me. i suspect that
your problem may be driver related rather than app related. i do not use
aoss - generally i have JACK running on my hdsp interface and leave the
builtin ICH5 interface for "consumer" applications (like skype, web
browser playback etc)

--p

hdsp? Thats a new one on me. This is an HP Pavilion dv5329us, and has the ATI-IXP audio stuffs loaded. There is an HDSPconf in the kde mutlimedia menu's, but it doesn't run when its launched. Is it supposed to, or does it need something running as a pre-requisite?

an RME HDSP is a high end 26 channel digital audio interface. if you
didn't spend US$600-1000 on it, you don't have it :)

my point was that these apps work just fine using the builtin audio
interface on my system(s). i think you have driver problems.

--p

Or chipset problems. Occasionally, skype will run for a few minutes before things start pulling the flush handle, almost as if its heat related. Having the hammer of being a CET, one tends to think of hardware as the nail.

Are there newer alsa things to try? This is a fully uptodate FC5 install, i386 on an amd turion 64.

--
Cheers, Gene