On 14 Feb 2007, at 04:18, Leonard Ritter wrote:

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 13:23 +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
Hi all,
who would be interested in writing a processing plugin standard
wrapper (LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, VST, etc.)?

so you have now 4+1 = 5 interfaces. theoretically, the issue should be
solved, since you have now one central interface to talk to the other 4.

however you disregard that in the process of writing your own interface,
you learned all other 4 interfaces (so you could translate between
them), which is exactly what you wanted to avoid. of course other people
would profit from your work, ideally.

the second issue is that your 5th interface accumulates all features of
the other 4, which means that it will be the hardest to comprehend.
the route i took for aldrin was to support none of these (since they
didn't match the problem that i had), and, if the need for a certain
piece of dsp code arises, port that code over to my private interface.

So... you're inviting him to learn from your mistake? ;)

I agree with the bulk of what you wrote, the solution to the problem of too many APIs is not to add another, but I don't think your own code is a good example of that.

I am also not in a position to throw any stones.

- Steve