On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 04:14:52PM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Introduce a new struct nvme_ns_head [1] that holds information about
> an actual namespace, unlike struct nvme_ns, which only holds the
> per-controller namespace information.  For private namespaces there
> is a 1:1 relation of the two, but for shared namespaces this lets us
> discover all the paths to it.  For now only the identifiers are moved
> to the new structure, but most of the information in struct nvme_ns
> should eventually move over.
>
> To allow lockless path lookup the list of nvme_ns structures per
> nvme_ns_head is protected by SRCU, which requires freeing the nvme_ns
> structure through call_srcu.
>
> [1] comments welcome if you have a better name for it, the current one is
>     horrible.  One idea would be to rename the current struct nvme_ns
>     to struct nvme_ns_link or similar and use the nvme_ns name for the
>     new structure.  But that would involve a lot of churn.

Being one of the persons who has to backport a lot of NVMe code to older
kernels I'm not a huge fan of renaming nmve_ns.

That said, I don't have a better name for nvme_ns_head (yet) but I'll try to
think of one as well. OTOH looking at nvme_ns_head it actaully is the list
head of the nvme_ns list.

Byte,
        Johannes
--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumsh...@suse.de                                +49 911 74053 689