On 01/22/2018 01:13 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/22/18 12:10 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:

>>> You can quote as much man page as you want - Andi is well aware of how
>>> read/write system call works, as I'm sure all of us are, that is not the
>>> issue. The issue is that there are potentially LOTS of applications out
>>> there that do not check for short writes, they do exactly what Andi
>>> speculated above. If you break it with this change, it doesn't matter
>>> what's in the man page. What matters is previous behavior, and that
>>> you are breaking user space. At that point nobody cares what's in the
>>> man page.
>>
>> Applications that don't handle partial writes are already broken with
>> buffered I/O, this change doesn't really make them more broken.
>
> Not disagreeing that they are broken, of course they are. But if you've
> been doing direct IO and not seeing short writes, then this could break
> your application. And if that's the case, it doesn't really help to say

I started exploring short writes and how direct I/O behaves on errors
after your suggestion to incorporate short writes in a previous
conversation [1]. I started looking into how midway errors with direct
I/O's are handled now and I stumble upon this issue.

> that their application was "already broken". I'd hate for a kernel
> upgrade to break them.
>
> I do wish we could make the change, and maybe we can. But it probably
> needs some safe guard proc entry to toggle the behavior, something we
> can drop in a few years when we're confident it won't break real
> applications.

Assuming we call it /proc/sys/fs/dio_short_writes(better names/paths?),
should it be enabled or disabled by default?

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-block/msg15910.html

--
Goldwyn