On 06/14/2018 10:53 PM, Adam Manzanares wrote:
[ .. ]

Then how about a numactl ... dd /dev/ram ... after the modprobe.

Yes of course, or you could do that for every application that ends
up in the path of the doing IO to it. The point of the option is to
just make it explicit, and not have to either NUMA pin each task,
or prefill all possible pages.

Makes sense, I have done some similar benchmarking and had to worry
about NUMA awareness and the numactl + dd approach seemed to work
because I wanted to not take a performance hit for page allocation
during the benchmarking.

Would anyone be interested in forcing the allocations to occur during
module initialization?

YES.

Cheers,

Hannes