On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 01:02:44AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 09:52:15PM +0100, Andi Drebes wrote:
> > As recently discussed on the list, btrfsck should only be run on unmounted
> > filesystems. This patch adds a short check for the mount status at the
> > beginning of btrfsck. If the FS is mounted, the program aborts showing an
> > error message.
>
> Just open the nodes with O_EXCL and you'll get all the checking for
> free.  Also make sure that for a pure, read-only checks instead of a
> repair to allow running on at least a read-only mounted filesystem.

Thanks for working on this patch Andi.

In this case O_EXCL is going to be more accurate just because the
mounted check doesn't cover every disk in the FS.  For now btrfsck
doesn't really give consistent results even readonly on a mounted
filesystem.  We should prevent it with a message just to prevent
confusion.

-chris