2009/11/16 TARUISI Hiroaki <taruishi.hir...@jp.fujitsu.com>:
> I made Snapshot/subvolume listing feature.
>
> This feature consists of two patches, for kernel(ioctl),
> and for progs(btrfsctl). I send these two patches as response
> of this mail soon.
>
> New option '-l' is introduced to btrfsctl for listing.
>
> If this option is specified, btrfsctl call new ioctl. New ioctl
> searches root tree and enumerates subtrees. For each subtrees,
> ioctl searches directory path to tree root, and enumerates
> more descendant until no more subtree is found.
>
> MANPAGE-like option description and examples are as follows.
>
>  OPTIONS
>        -l _file_
>                List all snapshot/subvolume directories under a tree
>                which _file_ belongs to.
>
>  EXAMPLES
>        # btrfsctl -l /work/btrfs
>    Base path = /work/btrfs/
>    No.    Tree ID      Subvolume Relative Path
>     1         256      ss1/
>     2         257      ss2/
>     3         258      svs1/ss1/
>     4         259      svs1/ss2/
>     5         260      svs2/ss1/
>     6         261      svs2/ss2/
>     7         262      ss3/
>     8         263      ss4/
>     9         264      sv_pool/
>    10         265      sv_pool/ss01/
>    11         266      sv_pool/ss02/
>    12         267      sv_pool/ss03/
>    13         268      sv_pool/ss04/
>    14         269      sv_pool/ss05/
>    15         270      sv_pool/ss06/
>    16         271      sv_pool/ss07/
>    17         272      sv_pool/ss08/
>    18         273      sv_pool/ss09/
>    19         274      sv_pool/ss10/
>  operation complete
>  Btrfs v0.19-9-gd67dad2

Thank you for doing this.

I have a quick look at the patches. It seems the ioctl returns full path
to each subvolume and uses sequence ID to indicate the progress
of listing. Every time the ioctl is called, it tries building full list of
subvolume, then skip entries that already returned.  I think the API is
suboptimal, a getdents like API is better. (The ioctl only lists subvolumes
within a given subvolume, the user program call the ioctl recursively
to list all subvolumes.)

Yan, Zheng