B1;2401;0cOn Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:09:00PM +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
>         btrfs device add /dev/sdc1 /srv/MM
>         btrfs filesystem balance /srv/MM
>
> adds /dev/sdc1 with about 1,5 TByte ("df" tells so), and the system
> works the second line ("balance") since about 12 hours. How much time
> needs this "balance" command?

   Enough time to rewrite every piece of data in the filesystem.

   There are patches [1,2] for the kernel and userspace tools to allow
you to monitor the progress of a balance. I'll be putting out a new
revision of them either tonight or tomorrow (depending on how awkward
git is feeling).

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg06558.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg06561.html

> If the machine hangs somewhere and I have to restart it: how can/must I
> repair the btrfs system?

   No need. Even while the balance is running, the filesystem should
remain in a consistent state (assuming that you have working
barriers). Note that if you restart the balance process, it will
effectively start from the beginning again.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
    --- Anyone using a computer to generate random numbers is, of ---