On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 03:28:08PM +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On 12/11/10 12:33, Li Zefan wrote:
>
> > Is there any blocker that prevents us from canceling balance
> > by just Ctrl+C ?
>
> Given that there's been at least 1 report of it taking 12 hours
> to balance a non-trivial amount of data I suspect putting this
> operation into the background by default and having the cancel
> option might be a better plan.

   Only 12 hours? Last time I tried it, it took 19. :)

   It would certainly be easy enough to fork a copy of the userspace
tool to run the ioctl in the background. Probably a little more work
to make the balance a kernel thread. I'd prefer the former, for
ease of implementation.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
   --- Great oxymorons of the world, no.  3: Military Intelligence ---