On 11/24/2010 11:57 PM, cwillu wrote:
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Gordan Bobic<gor...@bobich.net>  wrote:
On 11/24/2010 10:07 PM, David Nicol wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a while, from a perspective of how
to make it work by allocating i-node numbers from a global pool, but
yesterday I realized that offering the feature would be a bad idea
because it violates the semantics of file systems.

I will be happy to expand on that point if anyone disagrees with it.

One thing I would like to see is copy-on-write hard-links. The hard-links
that span snapshots should be possible, but they should be copy-on-write,
i.e. as soon as hard-linked file that spans snapshots is written, the
snapshot that wrote it should have it's own forked copy henceforth.

There are sym-links, hard-links, and ref-links.  Cross device symlinks
are trivial.  Cross device hardlinks are evil.  Cross device ref-links
are just plain smart (and are at least partitially implemented in
btrfs;  does bcp work across subvolumes?).  :)

Last time I asked a similar question, there was no equivalent thing to COW hard-links, across snapshots or otherwise. Hard-links spanning physical devices don't make sense. Hard-links spanning snapshots, however, do. In fact, I would intuitively expect that a snapshot contains only COW hard-links which would get COW-ed from both the head and the snapshot.

Gordan