Helmut -

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 03:45:00PM +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> If/when I install 2.6.37-rc4: should I update btrfs (from the 20101117
> version)?

   I think that's the latest version.

> How can I see that changing the kernel makes things better? It's more
> and more difficult to externalize (?) btrfs directories to other disks

   Updating the kernel won't fix the problem I'm thinking of (sorry).
It will, however, fix the bug that stops the btrfs tool from reporting
what RAID levels you've got.

   The problem I suspect you may have (because your symptoms seem to
be the same as mine) is that there are some circumstances where the
filesystem can change RAID levels pretty much arbitrarily. Running
"btrfs fi df" with a kernel that reports RAID levels will show whether
that's the case, as you'll have more than one RAID level listed.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  --- But people have always eaten people,  / what else is there to ---