On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 13:13 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 10:03 -0700, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> > > kernel version(s)?
> >
> > 2.6.37
> > 2.6.39rc4
> >
> > > reproducer?
> >
> > The MeeGo team saw the behavior first. I have been instrumenting
> > the Smack code to track down what is happening. I am in the process
> > of developing a Smack workaround for the btrfs behavior.
>
> If this is for newly created files, then we initialize the in-core
> security label for the inode as part of the inode_init_security hook in
> SELinux and thus don't even try to call ->getxattr at d_instantiate
> time.  Not sure though why it wouldn't already be set.

Actually, a quick look at the code makes it clear.  btrfs_create() and
friends call d_instantiate() before setting inode->i_op() for new
inodes.  In contrast, ext[234] set the i_op before calling
d_instantiate().

In any event, you don't really need to go through the slow path of
calling ->getxattr for new inodes as you already know the label that is
being set.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency