Excerpts from Chester's message of 2011-05-20 01:32:22 -0400:

> > Out of curiosity, why isn't this done automatically as opposed to
> > having to mount with the space_cache option?
>
> The space_cache option changes the disk format. Once enabled, it will
> be permanent. The mount option gives people an option of whether they
> want to enable space_cache.. I've been using it, and it's pretty safe
> to use.

Once enabled it does stay on, and strictly speaking it does change the
disk format.  But, it is perfectly safe to go back to a non-space_cache
enabled kernel and then go back into space cache.  Josef set things up
so it would detect a non-space_cache mount and continue properly.

space_cache is wonderful.  We did fix up a few bugs in .38 and .39 but
I'll probably have .40 enable it by default.

-chris