On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 05:24:15PM +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> The issue with sync(2) being slow has been known for a while now (I can
> find discussions as early as July 2010). But nobody seems to be willing
> to fix it or even figure out out what the actual problem is. I use btrfs
> on two hosts, and the sync(2) syscall is consistently slow. By slow I
> mean 20 seconds on one and 45(!) seconds on the other. Every single
> time, no exceptions.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help track down the cause? I can test
> patches, trace the kernel or use whatever tool is most helpful.

I think I fixed this, try my git tree

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/josef/btrfs-work.git

Let me know if it helps.  And what are you doing when you call sync?  I've not
been able to reproduce this problem so I'm having a hard time nailing down what
it is, so if I can get a reliable way to reproduce it I'll try and figure it
out.  Thanks,

Josef