On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Chris Mason <chris.ma...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 09:33:37AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> >
>> > Sure: use git rebase to apply the patches to the older kernel.
>>
>> ... or use 3.1.2, and get ONLY fs/btrfs from Chris' for-linus tree,
>> compile it out-of-tree, and use it to replace the original btrfs.ko.
>
> If you're on a 3.1 kernel, you can pull my for-linus directly on top of
> it with git pull.  I always keep a btrfs tree against the previous
> kernel so that people can use the latest btrfs goodness without having
> to use an rc kernel.

Yes, thanks for that.

My suggestion is simply an alternative (instead of git pull) for people who:
- aren't quite familiar with git, but know enough to grab a directory
snapshot from gitweb (e.g.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mason/linux-btrfs.git;a=tree;f=fs/btrfs;h=5f51bd7e3b8b6c4825681408450e6580bdbccce1;hb=refs/heads/for-linus)
- know how to build a module out-of-tree
- on the latest stable, but don't want to re-compile the whole kernel
just to get btrfs fix

--
Fajar