On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Niels de Carpentier
<ni...@decarpentier.com> wrote:
>>> ... and depending on which SSD you use, it shouldn't matter. Really.
>>>
>>> Last time I tried with sandforce SSD + btrfs + -o discard, forcing
>>> trim actually made things slower. Sandforce (and probably other modern
>>> SSD) controllers can work just fine even without explicit trim fs
>>> support.
>>
>> What command did you use to test this?

Normal usage, and some random i/o test tool like fio.

>> I have an OCZ Agility 3 SSD, which have the latest Sandforce
>> controller, so I would really like to try reproduce your test setup.

Yours should be newer. Mine is somewhat-old corsair force 60 GB with
btrfs on top. When I activated -o discard, it actually become slower.
Also, when I used fstrim, the IOPS were capped at 100, so probably the
slowdown is because of that (i.e. IOPS-limit of TRIM somewhere,
possibly the controller)

> Ok, the sandforce controller makes things interesting.
>
> First of all, sandforce controllers have a very high failure rate, so make
> sure you have backups!!

Yes, but even knowing that I can't imagine going back to HDD for this
particular system. It'd be too slow to bear :P

> Sandforce controllers also use compression and deduplication to increase
> performance. Encryption will make your data incompressible and random, so
> this can have a big impact on performance, depending on the
> characteristics of your data.

In my case I use compress=lzo, so it shouldn't be compressible by the
controllers.

> Sandforce controllers also have life time throttling, which will throttle
> writes heavily if it thinks you will wear out the  flash within the
> warranty period. If you have a very heavy write workload this can be an
> issue.

That's new. Is there a link/reference for that?

> If you don't have a working trim it is a good idea to leave part of your
> drive unused. (Make sure you either do this after a full write erase of
> the drive, or do a manual trim of that area, otherwise it won't work).
> This will make sure the drive has enough spare sectors to do garbage
> collection and can greatly improve performance if your drive is full.

True. But on my last test I can't get fstrim to trim everything. It
could only trim about 2GB out of 12GB free space.

--
Fajar