On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 01:26:45PM +0300, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 01:07:06PM +1000, Mike Sampson wrote:
> > There is now 8GB less in Metadata and I was able to delete some files
> > as well to free up space. There is still a lot of wasted space in the
> > metadata block groups. It seems that it allocates more metadata block
> > groups than required for my filesystem. This will do until I am able
> > to add a couple of devices to the system. Is there anyway to adjust
> > the block group allocation strategy at filesystem creation?
>
> No.  Chunk allocator currently allocates a lot more chunks than actually
> needed, and it impacts both balancing and normal operation.  Try this:
>
> # btrfs balance start -musage=10 /home
>
> This is suboptimal, but it should get rid of more chunks.

   While we're talking about it, what is the parameter to the "usage"
option? I'm assuming it selects chunks which are less than some amount
full -- but is the value a percentage, or a quantity in megabytes
(power-of-10 or power-of-2), or something else?

   Hugo.

               --- Doughnut furs ache me, Omar Dorlin. ---