On 06/20/2012 09:34 AM, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:

> At the first I tough that having the /boot separate could be a good
> thing. Unfortunately /boot contains both the bootloader code and the
> kernel image. The kernel image should be in sync with the contents of
> /lib/modules/....
>
> This is the tricky point. If I handle /boot inside the filesystem
> submodule a de-sync between the bootloader code and the boot sector
> could happens. In I handle /boot as separate subvolume/filesystem a
> de-sync between the kernel image and the modules could happens.
>
> Anyway, from a bootloader POV I think that /boot should be handle
> separately (or as filesystem or as subvolume identified by specific ID).
> The best could be move the kernel in the same subvolume as /lib/modules,
> so a switch of the subvolume as root filesystem would be coherent.

You're not really answering the question.   "The best could be move the
kernel in the same subvolume as /lib/modules" isn't really going to
happen... the whole *point* of /boot is that /boot contains everything
needed to get to the point of kernel initialization.

So, sorry, you're out to sea here...

        -hpa