Hi Alexander,

On 06/27/2012 03:16 PM, Alexander Block wrote:
> This patchset introduces the btrfs property subgroup. It is the
> result of a discussion we had on IRC. I tried to make the properties
> interface as generic and extensible as possible. Comments are welcome.
>
> Currently the command group looks like this:
> btrfs prop get [-t <type>] /path/to/object [<name>] (omitting name dumps all)
> btrfs prop list [-t <type>] /path/to/object (lists properties with
> description)
>
> The type is used to explicitly specify what type of object you mean. This is
> necessary in case the object+property combination is ambiguous.  For example
> '/path/to/fs/root' could mean the root subvolume, the directory inode or the
> filesystem itself. Normally, btrfs-progs will try to detect the type
> automatically.

Instead of using

   btrfs prop set -t filesystem ....
   btrfs prop set -t subvolume ....
   btrfs prop set -t inode ....

what about

   btrfs filesystem prop set .....
   btrfs subvolume prop set .....
   btrfs inode prop set .....

?

btrfs has already grouped the commands by "category" (even tough I have
to admit that some command doesn't fit its group. Why do not use this
instead of "-t <object type>". If we need new type we could create it on
demand...

> David suggested that it should also be possible to specify objects by
> their id/uuid/fsid. I like that idea, but would be happy if someone else
> could take over that part :)

This proposal makes sense.

> For now, I've implemented two properties:
> 1. read-only. Usable on subvolumes to toggle the read-only flags.
> 2. label. I looked through btrfs to find good examples of things that
>    could be moved to the new properties interface and the filesystem
>    label looked like a good one. There are for sure more, but that is
>    something for later (and maybe for someone else). I would suggest
>    to move everthing that makes sense over to the props interface and
>    mark the old interfaces as deprecated. Comments on this are welcome.

What is the suppose goal/benefit/advantage to switch to a new interface
? Really, it is a true question.

> Patch version history:
> v1
>   Initial version.
> v2
>   - Removed the filesystem prefix and implemented it as new command group
>     form.
>   - Removed patches "Btrfs-progs: make filesystem_cmd_group non const"
>     and "Btrfs-progs: move skip_prefix and prefixcmp to utils.c". They
>     are not needed anymore due to the 'btrfs prop list' command.
>   - Udjusted the subvol flags patch to be compatible to the "Btrfs: use
>     _IOR for BTRFS_IOC_SUBVOL_GETFLAGS" patch.
>   - Using -t <type> instead of <type>: prefix now.
>   - Changes are based on feedback from Ilya and David.
>
> Alex.
>
> Alexander Block (3):
>   Btrfs-progs: add BTRFS_IOC_SUBVOL_GET/SETFLAGS to ioctl.h
>   Btrfs-progs: let get_label return the label instead of of printing it
>   Btrfs-progs: introduce btrfs property subgroup
>
>  Makefile          |    5 +-
>  btrfs.c           |    1 +
>  btrfslabel.c      |   13 +-
>  btrfslabel.h      |    4 +-
>  cmds-filesystem.c |   14 +-
>  cmds-property.c   |  459
>  commands.h        |    2 +
>  ioctl.h           |    2 +
>  props.c           |  114 +++++++++++++
>  props.h           |   43 +++++

Please update the man page too... This could help the process of
creating a new interface.