Firstly I know what I've been doing has been less than 100% safe, but
I've been prepared to live with it.

For about 2 years now (you know from around the time btrfs looked like
RAID5/6 was just around the corner) I've had a server with a 5 disk
RAID10 btrfs array. I realise there has been quite some change to the
btrfs implementation since 2.6.38 but I'm hoping that there shouldn't
be anything blocking me moving to a much more modern kernel.

My proposed upgrade method is:
Boot from a live CD with the latest kernel I can find so I can do a few tests:
 A - run the fsck in read only mode to confirm things look good
 B - mount read only, confirm that I can read files well
 C - mount read write, confirm working
Install latest OS, upgrade to latest kernel, then repeat above steps.

Any likely hiccups with the above procedure and suggested alternatives?

--
Gareth Pye
Level 2 Judge, Melbourne, Australia