Hi,
> I did not apply the patch but instead added a check for dir != tmp_dir
> only. The reason to not check for gen is that I have a rule in my
> mind: I only pass the generation number to functions where I want to
> know the *current* state. is_first_ref is for permanent state, the
> return value never changes while sending. I could however not
> reproduce the problem with test_1.sh, but it should fix it.

I understand. I was not sure about dir_gen either. Since you call this
function to check the permanent state in a particular root, it does
not make sense to compare the generation.

>> btrfs_test_2.sh
>> The last test exposes an interesting issue: when a directory has a
>> deleted reference recorded, this deleted reference is not added to the
>> 'check_dirs' list. As a result, the upper directory (already
>> orphanized) is not rmdir'd.
> You'll find a commit in my repo to fix this. The problem was, that
> moved directories do not get into the delete_refs loop and thus the
> parent of the old location is never added to the check_dirs list.
> I have force pushed to for-alex, if you have time I'd be happy if you
> test again :)
Thanks. It fixes the issue.

...and pls expect another mail from me with a long list of questions I
accumulated:)

Thanks!
Alex.