On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:48:10PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:

> >>  btrfs send introduced a part of code to read kernel-data
> >>  from user-end using pipe. We need this part of code to be
> >>  useable outside of send sub-cmd, so that developing
> >>  service sub-cmd can use it.
> >
> >What's 'service sub-cmd' please?
>
>   at the moment 'btrfs service history <mnt>|<dev>'
>   to show logs of maintenance.
>   comments/suggestions welcome.

   As I said in our private email exchange some months ago, I don't
think this is the right way to be doing this. For example, if you use
an alternative tool (such as btrfs-gui) which uses the ioctls
directly, you've lost that logging information.

   Keeping a log of what's been done to the FS is much better done by
extending the available logging in the kernel (and making it a
compile-time option for those who don't want or need it). You can then
write a simple shell script to chomp through the normal kernel logs to
extract this information.

   Hugo.

  --- I'll take your bet, but make it ten thousand francs. I'm only ---
                       a _poor_ corrupt official.