Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012 schrieb Liu Bo:
> On 09/19/2012 07:28 PM, ching wrote:
[…]
> > On 09/17/2012 07:15 PM, ching wrote:
> >> I am testing btrfs for long-term storage and backup, and i would
> >> like to know more about "autodefrag" option:
> >>
> >> 1. Will "autodefrag" option benefit ssd?
> >>
> >>     My understanding is:
> >>
> >>        autodrag -> number of extent decrease -> metadata decrease ->
> >>
> >> "healthier" filesystem in the long run
> >>
> >>    (P.S. I am aware that autodefrag will introduce extra write I/O)
>
> Yes, your understanding is right, random write workloads will benefit
> from it.

What about the extra I/O? And the greatly reduced seek times on SSDs?

Upto now I kept away from defragmenting on SSD.

I wonder about a good way to decide whether autodefrag makes things better
or worse for a specific workload. What are the criteria on rotating media
and what are they on SSD?

[… informational part about a BTRFS on SSD that should have an age of at
least 8 months with almost daily upgrades  …]

I only have / running on SSD, but this since quite some time. And it does
not seem to have gotten much worse – however this is only subjective
feeling of performance.

Except for fstrim times. fstrim take way more time than in the beginning¹.
So there seems to be free space fragmentation. Which makes sense for a
root filesystem on a Debian Sid machine with lots of upgrade activity and
way over 50% usage.

merkaba:~> df -hT /
Dateisystem    Typ   Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
/dev/dm-0      btrfs   19G     13G  3,6G   79% /

merkaba:~> btrfs fi sh
failed to read /dev/sr0
Label: 'debian'  uuid: […]
        Total devices 1 FS bytes used 12.25GB
        devid    1 size 18.62GB used 18.62GB path /dev/dm-0

merkaba:~> btrfs fi df /