Welcome.

I was using this btrfs file system on kernel 3.6 rc4 and rc5 and 3.5.4 on Mint 13 (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04). Now, I found the following output of btrfsck /dev/sda8 (which was of course off-line at that time):
checking extents
checking fs roots
root 256 inode 581419 errors 100
found 97398079488 bytes used err is 1
total csum bytes: 94539548
total tree bytes: 589582336
total fs tree bytes: 412663808
btree space waste bytes: 128744572
file data blocks allocated: 870320693248
 referenced 102221803520
Btrfs Btrfs v0.19
I understand, that the line "root 256 inode 581419 errors 100" tries to tell me, that there is a problem with inode 581419. (Which happen to be mountpoint/@/var/cache/hald/fdi-cache; I use btrfs as a root file system for Linux mint 13). I pulled the recent btrfs-tools from Ubuntu 12.10 (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+package/btrfs-tools; version 0.19+20120328-7ubuntu1 <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/btrfs-tools/0.19+20120328-7ubuntu1>). The btrfsck doesn't make the error disapear. I don't experience any problems with the file system, but maybe I am only lucky.

What exactly does this error mean?

Is there any way to heal the file system?

I can read the file just fine. But I can't confirm if the contents are valid though; they definitely don't look random. Would deleting the file help? Or re-writing it?

Is there any way of recovering from this error, or should I rebuild the file system from scratch?

I will gladly assist you with providing any debugging information you need. Just give me clear instructions, what to do. The file system is not in production.

Adam Ryczkowski