Miao Xie <miaox <at> cn.fujitsu.com> writes:

> This patchset introduce extent buffer cache to btrfs. The basic idea
> is to reduce the search time and the contentions of the extent buffer
> lock by re-using the last search result.
>
> I ran stress.sh, xfstests and some other tools to test it, all of them
> worked well.
>
> As a performance improvement patchset, of course we did performance test.
> Because this patchset is to improve the b+ tree search, in other words,
> it improves the performance of the metadata operations, we use file creation
> test to measure it. So we ran 10 tasks, and all of them created 100000 files
> in their own directories at the same time. As the result, we found this
patchset
> makes btrfs ~20% faster(98s -> 77s).
>
> we can pull this patchset from the URL
>
>       git://github.com/miaoxie/linux-btrfs.git extent-buffer-cache
>
> Thanks
> Miao
> ---

I tested the patchset with aim7's fileserver test with 16 processes on RAM
emulated SCSI btrfs file system.  I got about 18% speedup in throughput.  The
workload is a mix of file copy, read, write and file sync.

The contention on btrfs_tree_lock operation is reduced with the patchset, by
about 8.4% of cpu cycles (from 48.3% to 39.9%).

Miao, I can send you the detailed profile if you are interested.

Thanks.

Tim Chen