Well, I mounted the volume ro and copied that data to another device.
Then I cleaned the junk out and then copied the data back to the
original device which I had wiped.
Total recovery time 4 hours.
Thanks for the hint Hugo, I don't know why it never occurred to me to
mount it read only.

--
Shawn Dakin (CNE)
Director of Technology