On 31 Oct 2012 11:48 +0100, from ai...@mathematik.uni-freiburg.de (Ahmet Inan):
>>> i also dont see any benefit from inlining small files:
>
>>> with defaults (inlining small files):
>>> real    4m39.253s
>>> Data: total=10.01GB, used=9.08GB
>>> Metadata, DUP: total=2.00GB, used=992.48MB

This uses 10290.40 MB total, if we pad with zeroes (9.08GB plus
992.48MB).

>>> without inline:
>>> real    4m42.085s
>>> Data: total=11.01GB, used=10.85GB
>>> Metadata, DUP: total=1.00GB, used=518.59MB

Under the same assumption, this uses 11628.99 MB total (10.85GB +
518.59MB).

>> I suggest you take a closer look at your numbers.
>
> both use 12GiB in total and both need 280 seconds.
> am i missing something?

With inlining, you're using about 1.3 GB less disk space and require a
few seconds less wall-clock time for the same thing. A 10% difference
in storage space requirement does not seem like "no benefit" to me,
and both sets of numbers favor the default (with inlining).

--
Michael Kjörling • http://michael.kjorling.se • mich...@kjorling.se