Hi Mark,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Mark Fasheh <mfas...@suse.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:35:31PM -0800, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>> Another reason of my concerns is that I've been trying to work on
>> exporting the equivalent of ioctl.h, with the constants and structs
>> needed to call btrfs-specific ioctls, from the kernel side, I already
>> submitted a patch to export it from a Linux kernel build as
>> /usr/include/linux/btrfs.h. I believe that's the right way to export
>> that particular information.
>
> I don't disagree with this goal, in fact I quite like it. Can you point us
> to your work?

Sure.

1) Exposing list of constants needed for ioctls from the kernel
include files (that makes it into /usr/include/linux):
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg21678.html

I also wrote an initial patchset to use that from strace in order to
be able to use strace on the btrfs-progs and interpret the ioctls:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg21679.html

I want to resume that work, but that definitely involves shifting
things around in header files and that looks to me like walking on
quicksand right now so I'm a bit wary...

2) Merging headers and source files from kernel btrfs and btrfs-progs:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg22124.html

That's simply a proposal on using a script to "checkout" a certain
version of the shared files from the kernel sources into the
btrfs-progs git tree (think of it as a sparse git submodule.)

It doesn't go into the lengths of making the kernel source compatible
with userspace (e.g. using #ifdef's and #define's etc.) but it's a
start having the files there so that you could try to compile them and
see the issues.

Cheers,
Filipe