Hello,
I have a filesystem that has become unusable because of a balance I can't
stop. It is very close to full, and the balance is preventing me from
growing it.

It was started like this:
sudo btrfs filesystem balance start -v -musage=60 -dusage=60 /srv/backups

It has been stuck at 0% across reboots and kernel upgrades (currently on
3.8.1), and cancelling it had no effect:

Balance on '/srv/backups' is running
0 out of about 5 chunks balanced (95 considered), 100% left

According to atop it is writing but not reading anything.
Unmounting never terminates, so does remounting ro, the only way to
temporarilly kill it is to reboot. SIGKILL has no effect either. Is there
*any* way I can get rid of it?