Am 04.03.2013 00:52, schrieb Chris Mason:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 06:57:41AM -0700, Michael Schmitt wrote:
Hi list,

some rather unexpected btrfs-oopses for my taste. I use btrfs for some
time now (mostly on external harddisks) and these "oopses" happened
during some simple file and folder deletion operation on that device. It
is a luks-encrypted 80GB drive. Anything like that known? And the fs was
created just yesterday, how come there is a message like...

[91491.919358] btrfs: mismatching generation and generation_v2 found in root
item. This root was probably mounted with an older kernel. Resetting all new
fields.
This may be from first mount after mkfs.  It depends on your tools.
During mkfs, mount and that message the same kernel and tools were used. At least I am quite sure about that (but I wouldn't swear on my life).

... but the kernel used (3.7.3 from Debian experimental on Debian sid)
was installed several days ago. What kind of oopses are these? As of now
there is no real data on that device. But if there were, would I need to
be concerned about the integrity of those files?

[93283.762006] WARNING: at
/build/buildd-linux_3.7.3-1~experimental.1-i386-eX5kUQ/linux-3.7.3/fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c:6297
 btrfs_alloc_free_block+0xcd/0x2a4 [btrfs]()
These are not oopsen but warnings.  It's an ENOSPC warning as we try to
delete the extents.  It did happen sometimes in this kernel, but it is
only a warning.
Ah, 3.7.x had issues there? Do you have by any chance the bug-# or URL at hand? Or could you elaborate a bit what issues a user might have there and if he should be concerned? I just wonder how important a kernel up- or downgrade might be. But as it is only a "warning" (sorry that I did get that wrong), I suppose nothing "bad" could happen? ENOSPC on an almost empty filesystem would be at least somewhat "bad". :) But fs was almost full and I deleted it completely as the message appeared the first time. I copied another batch of files to it (only a few GB, maybe 10% of drivespace used) and deleted them again and got the next "warning"-message.

regards
Michael