On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Jan Beranek <jan233...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm preparing a strorage pool for large data with quite low importance
> - there will be at least 3 hdd in "-d single" and "-m raid1"
> configuration.
>
> mkfs.btrfs -d single -m raid1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dec/sdc
>
> What happen if one hdd fails? Do I lost everything from all three
> discs or only data from one disc? (if from only one disc, then is it
> acceptable otherwise not...)

I just finished doing some testing to check:  It will work, kinda sorta.

You'll be forced to mount read-only, and any reads of file extents
that existed on the missing disk will return an io error.  As I
understand it, single doesn't force files to be on a single disk,
instead it _doesn't_ force them to be _several_ disks; the implication
being that a large file (say, a 4gb movie) may still end up with
pieces on each disk.