On 06.04.2013 20:30, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> From: Mark Fasheh <mfas...@suse.de>
>
> btrfs-progs: re-add send-test
>
> send-test.c links against libbtrfs and uses the send functionality provided
> to decode and print a send stream to the console.

This looks pretty much like fardump from Arne's far repository:

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arne/far-progs.git

The stream generated by btrfs send is generated in a way to be easily
receivable by any other filesystem (destination fs' limitations apply).
Thus, we came up with the term Filesystem Agnostic Replication.

In my opinion, one of the next steps would be getting the logic used in
btrfs receive into a generic far lib, which itself would link against
libbtrfs to take the btrfs part from there. So, "btrfs receive" on the
command line would become a stub calling something in the yet to create
far lib, which itself would call hooks back to libbtrfs.

I have no plan ready how to build btrfs progs if we're doing such a
shift, that would have to be sorted out.

My goal is to get everything that could be shared with other filesystems
out of btrfs-progs into a far lib, and the send-test sent here
definitely falls into that category; plus: it already exists outside
btrfs-progs, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks!
-Jan