Apart from the dates, this sounds highly plausible :-)

If the hashing is done before the compression and the compression is
done for isolated blocks, then this could even work!

Any takers? ;-)

For a performance enhancement, keep a hash tree in memory for the "n"
most recently used/seen blocks?...

A good writeup! Thanks for a good giggle. :-)

Regards,
Martin