/*
-       * If the btrfs-progs is newer and kernel is at
-       * generation_v1 then we don't touch v2 items
-       * otherwise when kernel is at same or greater
-       * version compared with btrfs-progs then update
-       * the needed
-       */
-       old_size = btrfs_item_size_nr(l, slot);
-       if (old_size >= sizeof(*item)) {
-               btrfs_set_root_generation_v2(item,
-                       btrfs_root_generation(item));
+        * If this is the first time we update the root item which originated
+        * from an older kernel, we need to enlarge the item size to make room
+        * for the added fields.
+       if (old_len < sizeof(*item)) {

 With this fix. when kernel is using v1 and btrfs-progs is
 using v2, the disk structure will be changed to v2 after
 running btrfs check. I would rather take a conservative
 approach, by maintaining kernel intended version.

 Thanks, Anand