One the things that is frustrating me the most at this point from a user perspective regarding btrfs is the current lack of virtual devices to describe volumes and subvolumes. The current method of simply using a random member device or a LABEL or a UUID is just not working well for me. Having a well thought out virtual device infrastructure would greatly simplify use and also relieve problems with util-linux tools. I REALLY DO understand that most if not all btrfs devs at this point are working overtime on things much more serious than this issue and I REALLY DO have the patience to wait on this one. But I also REALLY DO hope there is some plan for this in the future. Certainly a lot of design for it should already exist within software RAID md code and LVM code.