A user of a workstation has a home directory /home/john as a subvolume.  I
wrote a cron job to make read-only snapshots of it under /home/john/backup
which was fortunate as they just ran a script that did something like
"rm -rf ~".

Apart from copying dozens of gigs of data back, is there a good way of
recovering it all?  Whatever you suggest isn't going to work for this time
(the copy is almost done) but will be useful for next time.

I'm guessing that I can't delete a subvol that has other subvols under it.

Should I have put the backups under /backup instead so that I could just
delete the corrupted subvol and make a read-write snapshot of the last good
one?